Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BBQ madness

Last weekend I was invited to join a young Egyptian family on a BBQ. The plan was to go after
prayers on Friday, that translated to 3 or 4 in the afternoon. They came to pick me up: mom, dad, 2 daughters and Filipino nanny plus a small dolly to haul a cooler, four adult chairs, one child's chair, a small charcoal grill and 2 bags of charcoal, lighter fluid, chips, bottled water and 3 giant tupperware containers of meat. plus there was a stroller and the tiny cooler I brought with some bread and salads. I think it was more luggage then I brought when moving to the country for 3 years. We joined the throngs of people filling up Al Safa Park. BBQs in the park with the whole family and practically a small camp set up are wildly popular. We settled on a patch of grass surrounded by other groups and fired up the grill. We ate mountains of lamb chops. We tried both tiny tender Australian chops and big flavorful local chops. But then there were the birds! Little local quail, super juicy. I've seen some hanging out near the apartment hotel because it's sitting more or less in a weird patch of desert. We sat and ate and talked and relaxed. I felt so lucky to be invited along. huge thanks to this lovely couple!
el shaimaa and achmed- notice we're not alone in the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment